Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sometimes I don't feel like it...

Good morning. Sometimes I don't feel like blogging - I just don't. So during those times, I surf other blogs. I read other stuff, I smoke cigarrettes and drink coffee. I call people. I play with my kids, I work, I try and get back into shape.

Speaking of which, I really have not felt much like working out lately, and it is really starting to show - I feel like I am carrying around a bowling ball in my mid-section - and man, that son of a bitch is heavy.

I went to my favorite training website today (halhigdon.com) and pulled down the Novice half-marathon training program. That's what I am going to do next, a half marathon. My rugby beaten knees, back, and shoulder cringed at the thought of it, but my lungs and heart thanked me in advance.

I know at first, it is going to suck. I don't just mean a little suck - I mean a really big SUCK. I just ran 9.3 miles a month ago, and I would be surprised if I can make it around the block in my current condition - but that's the way it always works for me - bust your ass, reach the pinnacle, rest, and then start over.

Everyone is asleep at my house with the exception of Gray and I - she knows Saturdays and Sundays are not good days to come into Mommy and Daddy's room before there are signs of life in fear of being required to do dishes or fold laundry - so she quietly turns on cartoons in the living room, gets her arts and crafts stuff out, and sneaks into the pop tarts for breakfast. I love it that she and her brother are so independent and strong - a ten year old and a five year old, both of them still children, and still happy - but both of them have a deep sense of self -and know how to accomplish things. I love seeing that.

I think that's another reason I need to run again - my son loves to help me track my progress - he gets proud for me - and I like that in all honesty.

I need an inspiration this morning - I am going to go throw on my ipod, and listen to music for a short while, and then perhaps run up to the gas station to buy more cigarrettes - it's about a three mile run - but hey, I might as well start somewhere!

Good morning, and Happy Saturday.

My reading list for the weekend - Thoreau (Walden or Life in the Woods), and Oh, The Places You Will Go - Dr. Suess

George

No comments: