Monday, May 12, 2008

The Pub





Saturday night was a long night - maybe too long, but it was a long night, and should have probably been shorter, but waking up in the shower, intentionally clogging the drain with my fat ass, is not the best place to be. I was, admittedly, going a little stir crazy for caring for my wife, and being at home for ten straight days - that is officially the longest I have been home for over two and a half years - and I have no earthly idea what to do with myself other than keep the laundry done, wash the dishes, and mop the floors. I am keeping up with work, but even that is in a lull right now, and the lack of something to do is the worst place anyone can be.

Mother's Day for us was slow - it was a perfect day for both of us to nurse hangovers and to recover a little bit from Saturday's fun - I called Momo and JayJay and they had about the same kind of day - lay in bed, watch television, and try to keep some white toast in your stomach long enough to gather some nutritional value from it - I did call both Mom's and my sister, and of course wished Christy a happy Mother's Day - I was off the hook this year, due to the intense care giving that has been administered, I did not have to go to the store and buy anything, I just had to make sure the laundry was done, the prescription pills were filled, and the kids were fed and bathed. In all honesty, it is probably easier to just go to the store and get a bath and body gift card, a spa visit, and a card that has some sort of catchy phrase inside of it. It was a good mothers day from my perspective, but hell, I am not a mother, so I guess I should defer that.

Those are pictures of the pub above, it's only about a quarter of a mile from the house, and most of the time, it is a walk or bike ride away, but Saturday we loaded up in the minivan and headed up to the bar. It is filled with characters, most of them I don't know their names, but they are always there, and we always seem to enjoy each other's company - there is P.J., the guy from New Jersey who I swear is in the witness protection program, Dominique, the inventor who is always fun to hang out with, there is Shawna, the bartender (johnny always protects her from Barflies) - and then there are several other folks who all hang out and just have fun. The bar is generally pretty dark, and as far as pubs go, it is a safe place - simply because everyone knows everyone else, and generally no offense is taken when someone gets out of control.

None the less, that's the pub - I think I am going to stay away from the Pub for a little while, there is no reason for me to pummell my soul and feel like shit - I can do that without any Irish help.

Until next time,

George

No comments: