Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My favorite things...





My favorite things in our house are our paintings - we have tons of artwork, and the garage is filled with work that we have somehow inherited through garage sales, years of accumulation, and family unloading their stuff - I like paintings - I have never really been very talented at anything artistic - I have been consistently mediocre at writing, and if nothing else, prolific in my ability to fill pages with nonsense and sometimes humor.

I am working from the house today, my wife went for a walk - and it is a wonderful day for a walk! My little girl is sick, and is watching one of those disney like rip off movies, and giggling, and I am taking a lunch break from typing incessant emails, reviewing numbers, and doing third grade level math. Last night I flew with another M&A guy from one of the big three, he was private equity - and we are the same age and same work, and we joked about the rocket science that we partake in. People hear mergers and acquisitions and think that we are some sort of brainiacs with really expensive calculators, and what we really are is guidance counselors and cheerleaders - granted there is work that has to be done, but none of it is really that complex, there is just a large amount of it...

Well, to the paintings - obviously, my favorite I talked about in the last blog, the birch bark, the white pond, the orange and blues of a cold winter day. When I was younger, I went on a creek hike in Pennsylvania - it was cold - and I crossed this scene a million times - it was beautiful, and looking at this painting gives me a calming effect - do you think the artist was looking to the center of the painting, much like I do, and wonder what is in that clearing?

The second one, the boats and the sky tease me with what some small Italian coastal town in Spain is like - I have never been - but, I like the sailboats and the dark sky and the colorful houses. After a few glasses of wine and a little bit of quiet, one can hear voices clammoring over seafood cooking...

Not too heavy or deep, just sharing a few of my favorite things..

No comments: